Dear. Mr. Ilitch and/or Al Avila,
You should not fire Detroit Tigers manager Brad Ausmus, according to 53 percent of the people who took this week’s Heller Poll, which sounds like a lot until you consider that the other 47 percent said he should go, especially if Jim Leyland or the ghost of Sparky Anderson takes his place.
The nearly 50/50 results probably mirror your own feelings on the silent sphinx that is young Bradley. Sure, he’s good-looking, according to my wife. And sure half the female population of the state of Michigan would be p.o.ed if you let him go. But on the other hand, it sometimes seems like he manages by flipping a coin. Take, for instance, last week’s mysterious decision to not start Nick Castellanos, at the time the league’s leading hitter, against a National League team. Most fans were like “No way! You do NOT sit the leading hitter – ever! You ride the hot hand.” And yet sit Castellanos did, presumably because he lost the coin flip.
He handles the pitching staff much the same way. Sometimes he yanks starters too soon. Sometimes he yanks them not soon enough. He seldom if ever yanks them at just the right time. Goldilocks this guy is not.
In any case, Mike and Al, while I would drop him like a hot rock, the people clearly favor keeping him around a little while longer. Which probably means until their next five game losing streak – so, say, next week then.
Image credit: Nicu Buculei