Come Heller high water …
- Trump’s true genius is his ability to constantly top himself with something ever more outrageous. Have you noticed? Just as you’re getting a good mad on about what he said yesterday, he says or does something stupider today, and you’re stuck with this wad of unexpressed anger. As a columnist it’s maddening. Slow down, Don. I can’t type as fast as you tweet, OK?
- An NBC story says what caused Tillerson to call Trump a moron was a meeting where Trump indicated he wanted 10 times the nukes than we already have. Trump says the story is false, which means it’s absolutely true. He hasn’t said why he thinks we need so many nukes, but I get the sense it’s because he’s the guy who smashes spiders 10 times just to make sure they’re dead.
- Amazing, isn’t it, that a guy who sat out the Vietnam War with “bad feet” now wants to go to war with everybody.
- NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said this week “Everyone should stand for the National Anthem.” And I’d agree if this were Russia.
- He won’t make it a rule, though. He’d be crazy to. The players would just find another way to protest like sticking their tongues out and hopping on one foot. Water finds a way. So does the human spirit. The NFL loves money – they’ll just fine players and give the money to charity. You watch.
- And by the way, while you were distracted by the anthem nonsense, Trump’s EPA – the Environmental Protection Agency (my god, the irony in the name) – announced it was “ending the war on coal” by ending a rule limiting greenhouse-gas emissions. I can hear polar bears weeping all the way from here. Can’t wait til next hurricane season either.
- In other distracting but irresistible news, Trump claimed this week that he invented the term fake news. He didn’t. But he certainly puts the F in it.
- Congress may ask the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to ban bump stocks, the kit used by the Las Vegas killer that turns semi-automatic weapons into fully automatics. For a quick second, I thought, “OK, that’s progress.” But all it really means is Congress A) Doesn’t want to have to vote on a gun control measure, and B) It’s essentially them saying guns that can spit 90-120 rounds a minute, like the AR-15, the preferred weapon of mass murderers everywhere, are fine but they draw the line at 400 to 800 rounds. “Taking 20 minutes to kill 58 people and wound another 550 more, that’s one thing. But taking 10 minutes to do it? Too far, man. Too far.” But why? Aren’t we entitled to all weapons at all times in all quantities? I want my bazooka and Sherman tank.
- I like comedian Chris Rock’s solution to the gun problem: “You don’t need no gun control, you know what you need? We need some bullet control. Men, we need to control the bullets, that’s right. I think all bullets should cost five thousand dollars.”
- Pence should pay back taxpayers for his anthem stunt, by the way. And that nonsense about not dignifying the protesters with his presence? Please. He and the Grabber-in-Chief don’t dignify anything with their presence. They taint it.
- “Power-lust is a weed that grows only in the vacant lots of an abandoned mind.” – Ayn Rand.
Image credit: Donkey Hotey