Come Heller high water …
- What a gorgeous week in Michigan. Good weather is so rare here I’ve always thought we need a law giving everyone the day off on any sunny day over 65 degrees. You wanna sign my petition?
- A new study says coach seats in airliners are so cramped you could die. Like they needed a study for that. That’s like saying peanut butter is sticky.
- Every fall, I get excited for the start of the new TV season, even though I don’t watch much TV anymore. Then I remember, “Oh yeah, they don’t really do that anymore.” But why don’t they do that anymore? Is making TV shows really that much harder than it used to be?
- What I do watch is news. Too much news. I’m a news junkie, even though TV is the single worst way to get your news. I’m scaling back, though. Fox News is ridiculous. CNN is one-tenth reporting, nine-tenths people arguing. And the evening network news is mostly commercials, many of which are for prescription drugs, which I refuse to watch because the pharma giants are killing American health care.
- I also miss the J.C. Penney’s and Sears catalogues at Christmas – another seasonal thing gone forever.
- Shouldn’t the title of Hillary’s new book have had a question mark on the end of it? Instead of “What Happened,” as if she knows, it should be “What Happened?” right? Even better: “What the Eff Happened?” It was that kind of election.
- A new poll says more than half of American voters say Hillary shouldn’t run again. Oddly enough, those are all the Democrats. Republicans are saying “Heck, yeah, run again!”
- Ted Cruz was embarrassed this week when his Twitter account “liked” a porno site. In other news, the porn site said it was embarrassed to be liked by Cruz.
- Sports fans are saying Little Caesar Arena is a lousy name for the new home of the Pistons and Red Wings. I don’t think it’s so bad. At least it’s named after pizza.
- What bothers me about it is the $324 million taxpayers put into it, through no fault of our own. Thanks, lawmakers. You’d think soda prices would at least be low, but noooo.
- At its unveiling, the new $1,000 iPhone X’s face recognition log-in software failed to recognize the Apple VP demonstrating it. If his iPhone is anything like mine, he then asked Siri what was wrong and she said, “Sorry, I didn’t get that” or it took him to a wiki page about a thousand dollar bill.
- The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers wants to use noise cannons, water jets, and electrified water to keep Asian carp from getting into the Great Lakes. And you thought my column saying we should declare them a delicacy so people fish them to death was ridiculous.
- The only micro-distillery whiskey I’ve ever loved is produced by Traverse City Whiskey Co. They make five varieties – all delicious. Too delicious. The American Cherry Edition is my favorite. Goes great with a cigar. Which I did not just write because I’m not supposed to smoke cigars or drink whiskey, so forget I said anything.
- “The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity. The fears are paper tigers. You can do anything you decide to do. You can act to change and control your life; and the procedure, the process is its own reward.” – Amelia Earhart.
Image credit: Taylor and Kevin