Come Heller high water …
- Another day, another slaughter, another copycat victory for Columbine death merchants Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris (who made mass murder popular), and another badge of shame for the NRA, the GOP, and gun cultists.
- Seriously, do you think there will ever come a day or ever be a slaughter awful enough that we’ll suddenly, as a nation, realize we could have and should have done something decades ago? I think the answer is no. If Columbine didn’t do it, if Sandy Hook didn’t do it, and if the Las Vegas bloodbath didn’t do it, I fail to see what will. By our inaction, mass murder has become normalized. The lonely, crazy, angry and disenfranchised now view killing innocents as legitimate self-expression – a way to exit life’s stage with a bang, literally. A giant middle finger to life.
- By saying he paid off the porn star, isn’t Trump’s lawyer essentially admitting Trump did it? And if you’re Melania, how do you take that? Do you excuse your husband or do you become the first First Lady in history to divorce the president?
- I’ve said for a year now what Omarosa said on Big Brother: Celebrity Edition: That Trump is bad but Pence would be worse. Reason: Trump is crazy, and thus gets nothing done. Pence isn’t crazy but he is a zealot. I’ll take a crazy man over a zealot any day of the week.
- This is twice in two weeks I’ve actually agreed with Omarosa, who is a horrible, horrible person. I’m a bit scared about that.
- Trump’s military parade would cost between $10 and $30 million. Here’s an idea: How about we forgo the parade and spend $30 million on fixing up the roads or sending kids to college or helping the poor?
- Nah, that’s crazy.
- Speaking of the poor, in his budget Trump proposes cutting food stamps in half for 42 million low income families (many of them working), kids and seniors and instead sending them boxes of canned meat, vegetables and fruit selected and approved by the government. He says it’s to save money and improve nutrition but what’s really behind this is the long-standing GOP belief that poor people are spending their food stamps on booze and cigarettes, which isn’t true because the SNAP program doesn’t allow it.
- Ah, well, who cares? They’re just poor people. If they were any good, they’d just yank on those magical bootstraps Republicans are always yammering about and everything would be hunky-dorey. (Before you ask, it’s an old, old, old expression that means “fine.”)
- Do I seem a bit angry today? Yeah, probably I do. It’s one of those no-good, crappy news kind of days.
- OK, let’s end on a better note then. There was a story this week about a notorious poacher who was killed and eaten by the pride of lions he was stalking. To which a Facebook friend wrote: “As a lifelong Michigan resident, I can honestly report this is the only article I can remember reading about a lion victory in the football post-season.”
- “Be strong, because things will get better. It may be stormy now, but it never rains forever” – Anonymous.
Image credit: Mario Piperni